Mapping Quiz Study Guide
1) Define Globe: A model of Earth as seen from Space.
2) List the seven Continents. Asia, Africa, Europe, S. America, N. America, Antarctica, Australia
3) List the four oceans. Atlantic, Pacific, Indian, Arctic
4) What does hemisphere mean? A Greek compound word meaning half-a-ball.
5) What does the equator divide the Earth into? The equator divides the Earth into Northern and Southern Hemispheres.
6) What does the prime meridian divide the Earth into? The Prime Meridian divides the Earth into the Eastern and Western Hemispheres.
The next three questions use the 1st page in the packet to study (Circle 1):
7) What hemisphere is shown on the globe? Eastern.
8) Label the five continents shown.
9) Label the four oceans.
10) What are the two names for the lines running North and South on a map?Longitude and Meridians
11) What are the two names for lines running East or West on a map?
Latitude and Parallels
12) This question is a skill question finding latitude and longitude coordinates.
13) Create a compass rose.
14) What are the cardinal directions?
North, South, East, and West
15) What are the intermediate directions?
Northeast, Northwest, Southeast, Southwest
Questions 16 – 19 are skill questions finding directions on a map.
20) What does scale do for you on a map?
Converts map distance to actual (real) distance.
Questions 21 and 22 are skill questions using scale.
Bonus: What city does the Prime Meridian run through?