CHINA’S THREE GORGES DAM
Guided Reading Questions
Directions: Use the CNN reading to answer the following questions.
1) What are the dimensions of the proposed dam? How big of a reservoir will it create? How long will it take to finish?
2) Name the river that the project will be built on. In what part of China is it located? How does it rank to other rivers around the world?
3) Which Chinese city would benefit the most from the lock system that will be built with the project? Why?
4) Who is Dai Qing? What happened to him and why?
5) Some experts predict some environmental hazards that will need to be addressed for the reservoir. What are they?
6) What is the social cost of the project? How many people will this effect? Where will they go and how will there lives possibly be different?
7) Why are historians critical of the project?
8) How does China get much of its current electrical supply? How much could this project help? Give the equivalent of how much energy this could produce for the United States.